Singles order of play on the showcourts at the Wimbledon Championships on Wednesday (play begins at 1200 GMT unless stated).Centre CourtVasek Pospisil (Canada) v 3-Andy Murray (Britain)1- Novak Djokovic (Serbia) v 9-Marin Cilic (Croatia)Court One12-Gilles Simon (France) v 2-Roger Federer (Switzerland)4-Stan Wawrinka (Switzerland) v 21-Richard Gasquet (France)
Manchester United striker Romelu Lukaku believes manager Jose Mourinho views him as his enforcer on the pitch and the Belgian said he is prepared to take on any additional responsibility for the team’s cause.Lukaku has had mixed fortunes at United since his move from Everton in the close season but has found form in the last few weeks and will look to score his 100th Premier League goal in the blockbuster clash against Liverpool on Saturday.Adding to his tally is Lukaku’s primary objective but the 24-year-old believes his work rate has impressed Mourinho enough to entrust him with leadership opportunities.“I think the manager thinks I’m like his sergeant on the pitch,” Lukaku told Sky Sports. “And that’s strange for a striker because it’s usually the midfielders.“I’ve always worked hard and I’m grateful but at the end of the day, I’m a striker and I have to score goals. He has been really good but he knows I have that soldier mentality.“The work rate I am delivering to the team is a lot and he knows he can come to me whenever. I will always put the team first ahead of myself and that’s something I told him.”Lukaku joined United in the close season after scoring 25 league goals for Everton in his final campaign on Merseyside.He enjoyed a bright start to his Old Trafford career before going off the boil towards the end of last year.He has shaken off his poor run this year and has scored seven goals in the last 10 games in all competitions.“The desire to win is bigger than ever since I came to this club, because I always wanted to win and to chase trophies. I always put that in front of my personal objectives and he (Mourinho) knows that.”With runaway leaders Manchester City closing in on their third league title in seven seasons, attention has shifted to the fight for Champions League qualification and United’s battle with Liverpool to finish second behind their neighbours.Second-placed United side have 62 points and lead the Merseyside club by two with nine games remaining.
Francis Kong, Jason Magbanua headline ‘The School for the Passionate, New Bold U 2020’ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Negros Occidental gov’t, church call for prayers for safety of Taal evacuees FILE – In this Sunday, Sept. 15, 2019, file photo, New England Patriots wide receiver Antonio Brown (17) stands on the sidelines during the first half at an NFL football game against the Miami Dolphins in Miami Gardens, Fla. Nike has dropped New England Patriots receiver Antonio Brown, Nike spokesman Josh Benedek told The Associated Press on Friday, Sept. 20, 2019. The move comes after a second woman accused Brown of sexual assault. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky, File)FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — Antonio Brown says he is finished with the NFL.In a Twitter rant on the morning his most recent team was getting ready to play without him, the former New England Patriots receiver says, “Will not be playing in the NFL anymore.” He went on to take shots at other people in football who have been accused of sexual misconduct, including Patriots owner Robert Kraft and longtime Steelers teammate Ben Roethlisberger.ADVERTISEMENT LOOK: Taal Volcano island 2 days after eruption Brown was traded out of Pittsburgh and released in Oakland after his off-field antics became too much for those teams. The Patriots signed him anyway, and just days later a woman filed a civil lawsuit accusing him of rape. He played in one game, then was released after the team learned he tried to intimidate a second woman who accused him of sexual misconduct. Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Huge sinkhole swallows bus, kills six in China FEATURED STORIESSPORTSAndray Blatche has high praise for teammate Kai SottoSPORTSBig differenceSPORTSAlmazan status stays uncertain ahead of Game 4 MOST READ LOOK: Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Part 3 takes you straight to hell with a Music Video and First Look-Images LATEST STORIES No need to wear face masks in Metro Manila, says scientist Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:31Duterte had wanted Albayalde to take terminal leave — Go01:04Daybreak as smoke, ash billows from Taal volcano01:05Poor visibility, nakaapekto sa maraming lugar sa Batangas03:028,000 pulis sa Region 4-A, tuloy ang trabaho03:57Phivolcs, nahihirapan sa komunikasyon sa Taal01:04Sold-out: Stores run out of face masks after Taal spews ash01:45Iran police shoot at those protesting plane shootdown ‘People evacuated on their own’ Sebastian Vettel leads Ferrari 1-2 to win Singapore Grand Prix Taal Volcano eruption: House to develop rehab plan for Batangas, Cavite, Laguna View comments
Five weeks after two men escaped from the Lusignan penitentiary, one of them was arrested on Monday at Kitty, Georgetown in a Route 44 minibus.Captured: Fayouse ShakirFayouse Shakir, 27, of Lot 65 Le Ressouvenir, East Coast Demerara, and Rajendra Deonarine, 22, of Richmond Housing Scheme, Essequibo Coast, escaped from prison on September 19 while clearing overgrown vegetation from the penitentiary’s fence.About 09:15 on Monday, Police ranks, acting on information, intercepted a minibus in the vicinity of the Kitty Service Station and apprehended Shakir, who denied that he was a prison escapee, but subsequently retracted his statement after prison officers positively identified him.Wanted: Rajendra DeonarineShakir was serving a two-year sentence for break and enter and larceny at the time of his escape. He will now be slapped with an escape from lawful custody charge. Deonarine, who was serving a three-year sentence for possession of narcotics for the purpose of trafficking, remains on the run.
LONG BEACH – For those who have ever dreamed of racing wheel-to-wheel against a field of stars from TV, movies and the sports world on America’s most famous street circuit, now’s your chance. Beginning Monday, bids can be made on a seat in the starting lineup to race alongside a star-studded field in the 31st annual Toyota Pro/Celebrity Race, part of the 33rd annual Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach weekend April 13-15, by logging on to www.longbeachgp.com. This package includes first-class air fare, first-class hotel accommodations, meals and ground transportation to training, press/practice day and race weekend, as well as race-week dinners and related press and social activities, including a postrace “Victory Dinner.” The high bidder will also receive a custom-made professional driver’s suit, including shoes, gloves and helmet, and a $5,000 donation from Toyota will be made in the winning bidder’s name to “Racing for Kids,” a national program benefiting two childrens’ hospitals in Southern California. The starting field for the 31st annual Toyota Pro/Celebrity Race has yet to be announced, but past celebrity entrants have included George Lucas, Ashley Judd, Clint Eastwood, Cameron Diaz, Gene Hackman, Jay Leno, Karl Malone and John Elway. Professional drivers have included Parnelli Jones, Scott Pruett, Dan Gurney and Danica Patrick. For full details and rules, log on to www.longbeachgp.com, then click the “auction” link. Bidding begins at $50,000 and runs from 12:01 a.m. Monday through midnight Wednesday, Feb. 14. All proceeds from the winning bid will go to the Grand Prix Foundation of Long Beach which, since its inception, has contributed more than $2 million to a wide cross-section of charitable organizations throughout the greater Long Beach area. The winning bidder will join the rest of the celebrity and professional field for four days of professional driver’s training with Fast Lane Racing School at Willow Springs Raceway in Rosamond. Additionally, one day of pre-event driver’s training and media exposure will take place on Grand Prix Press/Practice Day, Tuesday, April 3. Practice and qualifying on Friday will lead up to the green flag on Saturday, April 14, at 12:15 p.m., when a fierce group of celebrities will compete in race-ready Scion tCs in a 10-lap sprint race over the storied 1.97-mile seaside Long Beach street course. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
PRINCE GEORGE, B.C. — Officials with the Prince George Fire Centre are cautioning members of the public about conducting backyard burning ahead of the ban on Category Two fires starting this Saturday.Fire Information Officer Amanda Reynolds said that of the nine wildfires that have started in the B.C. Peace Region so far this year, none were started by natural causes. Reynolds explained that though none of the fires in the region have burned more than 100 hectares, fire officials decided to ban Category Two fires in order to lower the potential for a repeat of the situation of two years ago. In late April and early May, several thousand area residents were evacuated from their homes near Fort St. John during a particularly dry Spring. Reynolds said that the ban going in to effect on Saturday prohibits fires larger than 0.5 metres across by 0.5 metres high, but does not prohibit Category Three fires, which are larger than Category Two fires but require a permit and permit-holders to have a minimum amount of personnel and equipment on hand to control the fire. The ban also prohibits fireworks, burning barrels, or grass fires smaller than 0.2 hectares.- Advertisement -Reynolds urged residents to adhere to the upcoming ban, and to be especially cautious with campfires, which are still permitted, in windy conditions.
Former Arsenal striker John Hartson has urged them to do all they can to sign Petr Cech from Chelsea this summer.The Gunners have had an exceptional second half to the season which saw them briefly frighten Jose Mourinho’s eventual Premier League title winners, but now they must seek new players to bolster their squad for next season.And Hartson believes with the Czech goalkeeper being allowed to find a new club, as talkSPORT told you earlier this week, they should try their utmost to land the 32-year-old shot-stopper.“They’ve got David Ospina and Wojciech Szczesny but Petr Cech is available,” he told the Weekend Sports Breakfast.“Go and break the bank for Cech. Do something positive to get the fans and the season tickets rolling in and everyone wanting to see Arsenal next season.“They just want big players. They want the best players in the world that are available. Go and make a statement and go after them. I believe there is money there now so to compete and to challenge that’s what they need to do.”
A NOTORIOUS speech delivered in Co Donegal in 2007 by then Taoiseach Bertie Ahern has come back to haunt him.An independent report has revealed that his Government IGNORED all the warnings about the possibility of the bubble bursting the Celtic Tiger economy.And now a speech made by Ahern in Bundoran in July 2007 – which was branded crass at the time – is even more disturbing in light of the report, In July 2007 in Bundoran, Co. Donegal, told a meeting of the Irish Congress of Trade Unions: “Sitting on the sidelines, cribbing and moaning is a lost opportunity. I don’t know how people who engage in that don’t commit suicide because frankly the only thing that motivates me is being able to actively change something.”He was later forced to apologise to families of the victims of suicide for his choice of words.However it is the fact that international experts have found the former Taoiseach and his cabinet colleagues – including Mary Coughlan – ignored warnings about the economic model of Ireland that is now at the centre of controversy.The independent review of the performance of the Department of Finance over the past decade has found that the Department did warn the Government about the dangers of the economic policy it was following, but that its advice was overruled by the Cabinet. The review by independent experts from Canada and Holland looked at the advice the Department provided to Cabinet over the past decade.Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan welcomed publication of the report, saying: ‘It provides a very fair and thoughtful assessment of the Department’s performance over the past ten years.’The report found the Department of Finance was aware of the dangers of the Government’s pro-cyclical economic policy of increasing spending and cutting taxes – and of the overheating of the property and construction sectors, and of the vulnerability of the tax system to a downturn.The report says the Department did provide clear warnings on the risks of the Government’s policy, and that its advice was more direct and comprehensive than concerns expressed by others in Ireland or abroad.But it found that in every year except 2003 the Cabinet increased spending above the levels advised by the Department. It calls for big changes to the way budget information is prepared, published and independently assessed.endsBERTIE AHERN’S INFAMOUS BUNDORAN SPEECH COMES BACK TO HAUNT HIM was last modified: March 2nd, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
A very credible 289,000 tourists visited Donegal last year and spent a whopping €83million, figures have revealed.The figures for 2015 were compiled by Fáilte Ireland’s Survey of Overseas Travellers and does not take into account local visitors.The list shows that Donegal received the eight most number of tourists in the entire country. Understandably Dublin received the most tourists with almost 5 million visitors spending a total of €1,726 million.With the advent of the Wild Atlantic Way, Donegal is expected to increase its tourist numbers and their overall spend considerably for 2016.Browsing through the Donegal Tourism app.Here is the full list of the counties and the visitors they received in 2015.1. Dublin: 4,938,0002. Cork: 1,449,0003. Galway: 1,354,0004. Kerry: 1,026,0005. Clare: 597,0006. Limerick: 537,0007. Mayo: 302,0008. Donegal: 289,0009. Kilkenny: 267,00010. Waterford: 263,00011. Wicklow: 248,00012. Wexford: 221,00013. Kildare: 214,00014. Sligo: 186,00015. Tipperary: 180,00016. Cavan: 144,00017. Meath: 134,00018. Louth: 125,00019. Westmeath: 116,00020. Monaghan: 65,00021. Carlow: 62,00022. Laois & Leitrim: 57,000 each23. Offally & Roscommon: 50,000 each24. Longford: 30,000 Richard E Grant, during filming for Tourism Ireland at Fanad Lighthouse.Overseas tourist revenue earned by county (the figures do not take domestic tourism into account):1. Dublin: €1,726m2. Cork: €558m3. Galway: €475m4. Kerry: €234m5. Limerick: €212m6. Clare: €127m7. Kildare: €89m8. Donegal: €83m9. Wicklow: €82m10. Mayo: €80m11. Waterford: €75m12. Tipperary: €66m13. Wexford: €65m14. Sligo: €51m15. Cavan: €50m16. Kilkenny: €45m17. Meath: €44m18. Louth & Westmeath: €36m each19. Carlow: €32m20. Monaghan: €25m21. Roscommon: €20m22. Laois: €18m23. Leitrim: €15m24. Offaly: €14m25. Longford: €8mDelight for Donegal tourism as figures show 289,000 visitors spent €83M here last year was last modified: October 22nd, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)