A personal injury solicitor says his client waited weeks for damages due to him in October as the identity of the insurer in the case was concealed.Paul Mulderrig, of north west firm Mulderrigs Solicitors, represented amateur footballer Paul Shipley (pictured) at Newcastle Combined Court in October where it was ordered that another footballer Lee Simpson pay around £22,000 damages and £60,000 costs. Simpson had contested the claim, which related to a a fractured left tibia incurred in a tackle on Shipley in 2013.Despite the judgment ordering payment to Shipley’s solicitors by 28 October, no amounts were immediately forthcoming.Mulderrig said the defendant firm in the case, Kennedys, working under the terms of an insurance policy issued to Durham County Football Association Ltd, had refused to reveal the identity of Simpson’s insurers. This made it harder to find out whom to pursue for the outstanding money.Mulderrig told the Gazette: ’As a matter of principle, where a solicitor represents an insurer who has stepped into litigation they ought not to be allowed to keep the identity of that insurer secret as has happened here.‘The conduct of the insurer has a direct impact on the amount of cost and work that a claimant is put to during the course of the case – in this case the insurer’s unreasonable conduct added many thousands of pounds to the costs of the action – and the claimant ought to know the identity of the insurer putting him to that cost.’Mulderrig said his client, who worked as a draughtsman and was expecting his first child at the time of the match, has never returned to football and the injury has had a long-lasting impact on his life.He had attempted to negotiate a settlement over the past three years but Mulderrig says the defendants rejected all invitations.Despite several emails to Kennedys, no payment was made until last week, when around a quarter of the sum was transferred. Mulderrig said £60,000 was still outstanding four weeks after the court-imposed deadline.A spokesman for Kennedys confirmed that it acted in Shipley v Simpson and said the claimant’s damages were paid last week.He added: ‘We have asked the loss adjuster involved in the claim to expedite the costs payment to Mulderiggs Solicitors and have continued to chase for payment to be made, as we are not authorised to make this payment on the client’s behalf. We have also kept Mr Mulderigg updated on what we have been doing to press for costs payment. Client confidentiality prevents us from sharing the name of our client but we can confirm that there is no conflict of interest in this case.’
Brazilian forward Neymar and his teammates have become the latest victims of the coronavirus pandemic after Paris Saint-Germain’s Ligue 1 game at Strasbourg which was scheduled for today, Saturday, was postponed because of the outbreak.The postponement was contained in a French Football League (LFP) statement on Friday.“Following an order from the Bas-Rhin authorities concerning the spread of the coronavirus, the meeting is postponed,” the LFP said.It is the first French league match to be postponed because of the new coronavirus.No details have been given on when the rearranged game will take place.Strasbourg’s Alsace region is one of the worst-hit by the coronavirus in France, where 613 cases and nine deaths have been reported.The decision was made after several people tested positive for COVID-19 in the Haut-Rhin region, which neighbours the Bas-Rhin region where Strasbourg is located.“Following an order from the Bas-Rhin authorities concerning the spread of the coronavirus, the meeting is postponed,” PSG said in a statement.French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe announced that all schools and nurseries in the departments of l’Oise, in the north, and le Haut-Rhin, in the north-east, will be closed for two weeks from Monday.“The arrival of 26,000 at the Stade de la Meinau, a quarter of which would come from the Haut-Rhin region, is likely to promote the spread of COVID-19,” local authorities added in a statement.Runaway Ligue 1 leaders PSG will not be too put out by the postponement, as the decision will give them an extra day of rest before their Champions League last-16 second leg against Borussia Dortmund at the Parc des Princes on Wednesday.Several other sporting events in the country have been affected.The Paris marathon, initially scheduled for April 5, has been postponed until October 18 and a number of cycling teams have pulled out of the Paris-Nice stage race that starts on Sunday.RelatedCoronavirus Disrupts French Ligue 1March 10, 2020In “France”PSG Declared Ligue 1 ChampionsApril 30, 2020In “France”Struggling Lille Handed Transfer Ban As PSG, Monaco And Metz Escape PunishmentDecember 13, 2017In “Europe”
For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. New Delhi: Heading into the Twenty20 International between India and Sri Lanka at the Barsapara stadium, there was a 74 percent chances of rain during the start of the match. Guwahati had received rain even during the afternoon but heading into the evening, things started brightening up. India won the toss and chose to bowl but from that point, the heavens opened up and rain lashed the stadium for close to an hour. What followed was a farce of epic proportions in trying to dry the damp spots in the pitch. After three hours of trying, all hopes of a game diminished and the first match for India in the new decade resulted in an abandonment.The trouble started immediately after the toss was won by India. The players headed back to the dressing rooms and there was a heavy spell of rain and hail for close to 30 minutes. The pitch and the surrounding areas were covered up. After 45 minutes, the rain stopped and the super soppers made efforts to drain the outfield off the excess water. Having lost one and a half hours, overs were being cut. The rain relented and the groundstaff resumed their pursuit of clearing any water on the surface. Most of the covers came off.However, there was a major problem near the pitch. Apparently, there were damp spots on both ends of the wicket. Virat Kohli, the Indian skipper, saw the patches and voiced his displeasure. Even the umpires had a check and they pushed the inspection to 9:00 PM IST. As things brightened up, there was another drizzle which forced the covers back on for 20 minutes. However, the inspection was not delayed. But the groundstaff had a problem. They wer employing a vacuum cleaner to dry the water off the top surface of the pitch. In addition to the vacuum cleaner, they employed a hair dryer and a steam iron to dry the pitch.Also Read | IND VS SL 1st T20I Live Cricket Score: Match Abandoned Due To Wet OutfieldThe groundstaff, though, were facing a race against time. The cut-off time for a five-over shoot-out was 21:46 hrs IST but the umpire scheduled an inspection at 21:30 hrs IST. That did not give much hope and there was still no official news after the 21:46 hrs IST cut-off time was passed. Initially, at 21:55 hrs IST, the game was declared abandoned. The nature of the abandonment will raise serious questions on the ability of Barsapara to host a match. The venue has not had many chances to host international games and this abandonment will not be a just result for the thousands of fans who stayed patiently throughout the time.