Fognini lands maiden Masters title in Monte Carlo

first_img Reuters Monte CarloApril 21, 2019UPDATED: April 21, 2019 22:24 IST Fabio Fognini win 6-3 6-4 over Serbian Dusan Lajovic to claim his maiden Masters title in Monte Carlo on Sunday. (Twitter/@ATP_Tour)HIGHLIGHTSFabio Fognini beat Dusan Lajovic to win his maiden Masters titleFognini defeated Nadal in the semi-finalsFognini won the finals 6-3, 6-4 in Monte CarloFlamboyant Italian Fabio Fognini followed up his shock victory over Rafael Nadal with a 6-3 6-4 win over Serbian Dusan Lajovic to claim his maiden Masters title in Monte Carlo on Sunday.The 31-year-old triumphed despite suffering from an apparent muscle problem to became the lowest seeded player, at 13, to claim the title since Gustavo Kuerten in 1999.Five weeks before the French Open kicks off at Roland Garros, Fognini produced some brilliant tennis on Monte Carlo’s red clay to snatch his ninth ATP singles title.Lajovic, who had not lost a set this week before Sunday, did not have the weapons to counter Fognini’s tactical nous.Fognini made several unforced errors early on, allowing Lajovic to break in the third game. But the Serbian failed to capitalise as he dropped serve in the next game.Fognini won three games in a row and held off Lajovic to seal the opening set with a stunning backhand winner down the line.It was the first set Lajovic conceded in the tournament and the Serbian appeared quite shocked, dropping serve in the first game of the second set.After a brief fightback Lajovic, who was also looking to win his first Masters title, was overwhelmed again and Fognini again broke to move 3-2 up.In the following game, the Italian had his right leg strapped by the trainer and Lajovic tried to make the rallies longer.But Fognini cleverly ended some of them with dropshots as he held serve for 4-2.He ended the contest on his second match point.advertisementAlso Read | Cristiano Ronaldo 1000 percent certain to stay at JuventusAlso Read | Ashleigh Barty guides Australia into Fed Cup finalAlso SeeFor sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byAnita Jat Tags :Follow mastersFollow Monte Carlo MastersFollow FogniniFollow Rafael Nadal Fognini lands maiden Masters title in Monte CarloWorld No. 18 Fabio Fognini knocked 17-time grand slam winner Rafael Nadal out of the Monte Carlo Masters to go on to win the title as the youngest unseeded player since 1999.advertisementlast_img read more

admin

Former Crime Chief had ordered use of one coffin for burial

… controversial Lindo Creek CoI hearsFormer Crime Chief Seelall Persaud had ordered that the remains of the eight miners killed at Lindo Creek be buried in one coffin, some four years after they were killed, despite the advice of the Lyken Funeral Home.This information came to light during the afternoon session of the Lindo Creek Commission of Inquiry (CoI), where evidence was given by Dr Dawn Stewart of the Lyken Funeral Home.According to Dr Stewart, on the day of the incident back in June 2008, she received a call for the pick-up of the remains. However, when she received the remains, she did not open them as she did not want to tamper with the evidence.Commissioner, Lindo Creek CoI, retired Justice Donald TrotmanThe remains, she said, was at the funeral home for some four years; the longest time any corpse has been at the facility in its 95-year history. According to Dr Stewart, the home had advised the Police to have the remains buried; however, they were told not to since the investigation was still ongoing. She said within the first year, some family members had been making inquiries about the remains, however, they were always referred to the Police.Former Crime Chief Seelall PersaudDr Stewart said when the funeral home was finally given the go-ahead to bury the remains, they were told that “one coffin would do” by then Crime Chief Seelall Persaud. However, the remains were eventually buried in three coffins at the Le Repentir cemetery. She explained that the home took it upon itself to have a short service “for closure” with a few family members of one of the victims. And even with family members making further inquiries about the deceased, Dr Stewart said there was nothing that could be done since “we didn’t know who was who.”The Presidential Commission of Inquiry has been established to enquire into the circumstances surrounding the killings of Cecil Arokium, Dax Arokium, Horace Drakes, Bonny Harry, Lancelot Lee, Compton Speirs, Nigel Torres and Clifton Berry Wong, on or about the June 21, 2008, and to report the findings and recommendations to President David Granger.The Commission will meet again on Tuesday, March 5. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedLindo Creek CoI: Govt Pathologist says, he never conducted autopsies on burnt remainsMarch 22, 2018In “Court”Lindo Creek CoI: Slain prison escapee Varswyck was part of team hunting ‘Fine Man’ says HughesApril 4, 2018In “Crime”Lindo Creek COI ‘turning out to be an assault on the GDF’- JagdeoMay 17, 2018In “latest news” read more

admin