New swim school led to UKs largest outbreak of waterborne disease after

Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings. District judge Michael Fanning described the giardiasis outbreak as the ‘single largest of its kind’ ever in the UK.Griffin was fined £1,500 fine and given a community order after he was found guilty of failing to carry out a sufficient risk assessment and discharging his duty of care towards people using his facilitiesDelivering his verdict, Mr Fanning said: “These are two people who took the skill Miss Kettlewell has and tried to develop a business and tried to be enterprising. It’s gone wrong for them.”Giardiasis was contracted by comedian David Walliams in 2011 when he swam 140 miles along the River Thames to raise money for Sport Relief. A newly-opened swimming school led to the UK’s largest outbreak of a water-borne parasitic disease after the owner failed to clean the pool properly, a court heard.Businessman Ryan Griffin, 26, spent £50,000 with his girlfriend Leanne Kettlewell, a swim teacher, to set up Dolphin Swim School on an industrial estate in York in July 2015. However, the pool was closed just three months later after more than 160 people were struck down with illnesses, York Magistrates Court heard.Simon Clegg, prosecuting, said water-borne diseases were able to thrive in the pool because Griffin failed to put necessary chemicals used to clean the water into it.–– ADVERTISEMENT ––The pool also had a maximum capacity of four people but was crammed with 17 students at a time, many aged between two and five, Mr Clegg said.He added that the business premises also had an insufficient filtration system and the toilet, changing and disposal facilities were all insufficient for commercial use.Concerns were first raised in August, weeks after the pool opened, when a number of children fell ill with the same symptoms. Over the next two months dozens more parents reported the school.Public Health England records show at the time the swim school was open that there were 165 cases of giardiasis in York, an infection of the small intestine caused by ingesting contaminated water, which results in diarrhoea, vomiting and nausea.

admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *