Remi Garde will watch Aston Villa take on Tottenham on Monday night ahead of his expected appointment.The Frenchman, 49. is poised to take over from Tim Sherwood, who was sacked last week.Caretaker boss Kevin MacDonald will still take the side for their game against Spurs, with Garde’s first match in charge set to be Sunday’s visit of leaders Manchester City.Garde left Lyon in 2014 after three years for personal reasons and held talks with Newcastle earlier this year.He won the title as a player with Arsenal in 1998 and Gunners boss Arsene Wenger confirmed last week Villa’s chief executive Tom Fox – who previously worked at Arsenal – had been in touch to sound him out about his former player.The ex-France international will become Villa’s fifth manager in five years as they battle relegation again. 1 Remi Garde
Celtic’s game against Hamilton has been called off following a pitch inspection.Torrential rain and gale force winds across Scotland had put the Premiership match in doubt.And referee Craig Thomson decided the pitch was not in a playable condition after making a visit to Celtic Park early on Saturday morning.“Following a pitch inspection at Celtic Park this morning…Celtic’s game against Hamilton Accies is OFF,” said the club in a tweet.The adverse weather in Scotland has also seen off Hearts v Inverness CT and Partick Thistle v Motherwell in the Premiership. 1 Celtic Park
1 Tony Pulis and Jose Mourinho West Brom boss Tony Pulis believes it would be disrespectful to Jose Mourinho to credit Guus Hiddink with Chelsea’s revival. The Baggies to go Stamford Bridge on Wednesday with the champions unbeaten since Mourinho was sacked last month.Hiddink has taken charge for four matches but the Blues are three points behind Albion in the Barclays Premier League. The Dutchman replaced Mourinho as interim boss until the end of the season and has won two and draw two of his games, with Chelsea 14th in the table. But Pulis rounded on any of Mourinho’s critics who would suggest Hiddink is the sole reason for Chelsea’s return to form. He said: “The fact is Mourinho won the league last season by a country mile. There might have been other reasons that things didn’t go so well this year but to put Jose down is completely and utterly out of order.“What you said was disrespectful to Mourinho and also the players that won the league last year because they played some great football last year, some fantastic football.“We’re in for a tough game It’s Chelsea they’ve some wonderful players and we’ll have to be on it and at our best.“That’s the same with every top four or five club. If you go away and play against them you have to have at least ten of your players playing to their maximum to get a result.”
Louis van Gaal admits Manchester United have lost their fear factor.United have endured a woeful campaign and are reeling from back-to-back defeats to Premier League strugglers Sunderland and Danish minnows FC Midtjylland.They take on side Shrewsbury Town on Monday night in the FA Cup, and Van Gaal accepts the League One outfit are unlikely to be frightened by the prospect of taking on his team.When asked ahead of the contest if teams do not fear United anymore, Van Gaal said: “When you see the last two games it is maybe like that.“But then we have to make them fear again. It is a question of winning matches in a row.”After the match at Shrewsbury, United host Midtjylland on Thursday in leg two of the European tie, then have a Premier League home clash against Arsenal three days later.Winning all three fixtures – with the Europa League result sufficient to send them through – would be a major boost, some momentum having been built up again and the club remaining in the hunt for two trophies as well as a top-four finish.But with talk having surged once more over the last few days of his tenure nearing an end and Jose Mourinho being set to replace him, a bad week results-wise will surely leave Van Gaal’s position looking precarious.And the performance in Denmark on Thursday is likely to have only increased Shrewsbury’s belief they can make it another miserable night for United on Monday.Van Gaal says he would welcome the League One side thinking, on the evidence of Thursday, that the task ahead may be easier for them than they had previously suspected.“I hope so because then it’s a benefit for us,” he said.The 64-year-old, who has a lengthy list of players unavailable for the tie, has emphasised the importance of his side being mentally prepared to raise their performance level significantly after the poor showing at Midtjylland, against opponents he feels could pose them similar problems.He said: “You cannot continue with losing and the question is how we are lifting ourselves for this game because Shrewsbury shall also fight (like Midtjylland) for the second balls and play direct and that kind of thing, and you have to cope with that.“You have to keep the ball better and not give unnecessary losses away.”While stressing winning the Europa League is a more important target for United given the route it provides into next season’s Champions League, Van Gaal has also expressed his particular “personal wish” to win the FA Cup, given his CV already features a UEFA Cup triumph but no English trophy.United have not lifted the FA Cup since 2004.And when asked if they should be viewed among the favourites to win it this season, Van Gaal said: “It’s not a question of being a favourite.“It is a question of you having to see every match as a match that you have to win.”talkSPORT has live and exclusive national radio coverage of Shrewsbury v Manchester United on Monday night, kick-off 19:45 Louis van Gaal 1
“Taking care of the health benefits for the retirees of our community is very important,” said Gregg Rademacher, chief executive officer of the Los Angeles County Employees Retirement Association. “This includes retirees in our community who work for the county of Los Angeles. And it’s encouraging to see our Board of Supervisors addressing this important matter.” In addition to setting up the trust fund, county officials expect to enter negotiations with employee unions in 2009 to negotiate whether to scale back health benefits for employees. Ramon Rubalcava, director of research and policy for Service Employees International Union, Local 721, which represents more than 50,000 county employees, said the union agrees a trust fund is a responsible move. “Pre-funding allows money to be dedicated and by investing it you will have an additional revenue source,” Rubalcava said. Only a handful of government agencies across the nation have so far proposed setting up trust funds to pre-fund their retirees’ health care costs. But the issue has gained urgency as the annual taxpayer tab for teachers’ and state workers’ pensions and health benefits has soared from $1billion to more than $5billion since 2000, eating into government services and requiring tax and fee increases. Currently, the county spends $348million a year on retiree health care costs. That figure is expected to swell to $1billion by 2016, according to a recent report. Meanwhile, the taxpayer contribution for the county’s pension system has more than tripled, from $278million in 1997 to $856million last year, according to LACERA documents. Still, the pension fund is in better financial shape. Since 1997, the total value of the pension fund has grown from $23billion to $40billion. And the fund, which was 83percent funded in 2004, is now 95percent funded. [email protected] (213) 974-8985160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Faced with a growing tab for government workers’ pensions and health care costs, Los Angeles County officials are expected today to recommend that the Board of Supervisors set up a trust fund to help fund the health care portion. The trust fund would be used to begin pre-funding the massive liabilities the county faces to pay for its retirees’ health care costs – estimated at $13billion to $20billion. Although former Chief Administrative Officer David Janssen suggested that the county put a $400million surplus into a trust fund, no figure has been agreed upon yet. “The trust fund is a mechanism to help mitigate the impact of the unfunded liabilities for retiree health care benefits,” Chief Executive Officer Bill Fujioka said. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.“This is the first step to address this issue and it’s a very positive step.” Former Assemblyman Keith Richman said Fujioka’s plan is prudent. Richman is gathering signatures to place an initiative on the November 2008 ballot that he says would save taxpayers $500billion over 30 years by raising government workers’ retirement ages. “Beginning to pay for retiree health care on a regular basis and paying down the debt is an important and fiscally responsible thing to do,” Richman said. In recent months, government agencies across California have been in negotiations with employee unions to scale back health benefits to address an estimated $48billion to $100billion in unfunded liabilities. Some cities and counties are considering reduced health care benefits for new employees.
“America’s cities and states have learned from mistakes that were made in the past,” Schwarzenegger said at Qualcomm Stadium, drawing a contrast to the chaos that ensued after Hurricane Katrina. “I will be relentless all the way through this.” California’s response to the disaster has generally been regarded as good. But there have been tough questions about why certain firefighting planes and helicopters remained on the ground. This week, Schwarzenegger returned to holding private meetings in Sacramento, a task he clearly does not relish as much as playing the role of a leader in a crisis. “Legislators aren’t going to change their minds about health-care reform just because he put a lot of work into the wildfire,” said Jack Pitney, a professor of government at Claremont McKenna College in Southern California. “But in the public mind, it enhances his reputation. It’s one of the things people expect from a chief executive. On a lesser scale, he’s getting the kind of boost that (Rudy) Giuliani got from 9-11.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! By Laura Kurtzman The Associated Press SACRAMENTO – The crowds roared their approval Sunday as Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger tossed the coin to start the San Diego Chargers game at Qualcomm Stadium, which just days before had been an emergency shelter for thousands displaced by raging wildfires. Schwarzenegger’s highly visible handling of the biggest crisis to hit his administration gave him a boost, just as his stalled legislative agenda threatened to turn him prematurely into a lame duck. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.The disaster played to the celebrity governor’s strength for connecting with people and his taste for decisive action. Analysts said the former actor instinctively understood the drama of the moment, projecting optimism and calm in a way that made people feel secure. “I think people find him a reassuring figure who does a good job at speaking directly to the news media,” said Bill Carrick, a Democratic consultant. “He has a sense of what to do in these situations.” The disaster that California faced was far less severe than Sept. 11, 2001, or Hurricane Katrina – calamities that focused spotlights on politicians. But in part because of his worldwide fame, Schwarzenegger received an enormous amount of attention. He used it well, emphasizing at every turn that government was there to meet the people’s needs.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre If this didn’t happen, there were threats that La Mirada residents would have to find another national organization to sanction soccer for youngsters. “We’re thrilled,” said John Schneider, regional commissioner for the La Mirada AYSO district. “No other region in the history of AYSO has been allowed to operate in this capacity.” About 1,100 kids play soccer in La Mirada. It is the largest youth athletic organization in the city. Alejandro Ponce, president of the La Mirada Athletic Council, called the announcement good news. “The way they were set up before (residents) weren’t an owner of anything they bought with their money,” Ponce said. “AYSO owned all of the goal posts, soccer balls and equipment.” LA MIRADA – The national board of the American Youth Soccer Organization has agreed to allow its La Mirada district to form its own nonprofit corporation. This change is expected to solve a dispute between AYSO and the city, which has rules requiring local control, including a La Mirada address on its charter and tax status, to use city fields for practice and play. Historically, AYSO consists of one national nonprofit corporation based in Hawthorne. The La Mirada City Council in September set a Jan. 1 deadline for AYSO to comply with city rules over its nonprofit status. This way, La Mirada residents will have control, he said. “Even if AYSO fees go up, at least now we know where the money is going,” Ponce said. Burton Haimes, chairman of the national AYSO board, said the new local nonprofit corporation will be created next week. “We really don’t think it was necessary, but the city in their field usage agreement says (the organization) it must be nonprofit and must have a local address,” Haimes said. He called concerns about national AYSO swooping in to commandeer soccer equipment in La Mirada “silly.” “The equipment and program belongs to the local community,” Haimes said. “We’re a service organization providing insurance, training and guidance,” he said. “That’s the propaganda people want to justify what I consider to be some kind of dispute going on in the leadership.” Scott Monzingo was the La Mirada AYSO commissioner from February to August. He was removed by the national organization and then replaced by Schneider. Haimes said he also sees the change as an experiment. With the La Mirada district getting its own nonprofit corporation, the change will give it more flexibility, Schneider said. “It gives us the ability to register our players with AYSO or with another organization as we deem appropriate,” he said. “We’ll be the face of soccer in La Mirada.” For example, AYSO only offers recreational soccer, but some youngsters want a more competitive brand. As its own nonprofit, the La Mirada group could also join with another organization for those youngsters, he said. [email protected] (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3022 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
A NOTORIOUS speech delivered in Co Donegal in 2007 by then Taoiseach Bertie Ahern has come back to haunt him.An independent report has revealed that his Government IGNORED all the warnings about the possibility of the bubble bursting the Celtic Tiger economy.And now a speech made by Ahern in Bundoran in July 2007 – which was branded crass at the time – is even more disturbing in light of the report, In July 2007 in Bundoran, Co. Donegal, told a meeting of the Irish Congress of Trade Unions: “Sitting on the sidelines, cribbing and moaning is a lost opportunity. I don’t know how people who engage in that don’t commit suicide because frankly the only thing that motivates me is being able to actively change something.”He was later forced to apologise to families of the victims of suicide for his choice of words.However it is the fact that international experts have found the former Taoiseach and his cabinet colleagues – including Mary Coughlan – ignored warnings about the economic model of Ireland that is now at the centre of controversy.The independent review of the performance of the Department of Finance over the past decade has found that the Department did warn the Government about the dangers of the economic policy it was following, but that its advice was overruled by the Cabinet. The review by independent experts from Canada and Holland looked at the advice the Department provided to Cabinet over the past decade.Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan welcomed publication of the report, saying: ‘It provides a very fair and thoughtful assessment of the Department’s performance over the past ten years.’The report found the Department of Finance was aware of the dangers of the Government’s pro-cyclical economic policy of increasing spending and cutting taxes – and of the overheating of the property and construction sectors, and of the vulnerability of the tax system to a downturn.The report says the Department did provide clear warnings on the risks of the Government’s policy, and that its advice was more direct and comprehensive than concerns expressed by others in Ireland or abroad.But it found that in every year except 2003 the Cabinet increased spending above the levels advised by the Department. It calls for big changes to the way budget information is prepared, published and independently assessed.endsBERTIE AHERN’S INFAMOUS BUNDORAN SPEECH COMES BACK TO HAUNT HIM was last modified: March 2nd, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Riverdance creator and Donegal businesswoman Moya Doherty has been appointed as the new Chairperson of the RTÉ Board.Moya DohertyMinister for Communications Alex White got Government approval for the appointment of seven board members today.Ms Doherty said: “The next few years will see RTÉ having to find structures capable of redefining the role of public service broadcasting in a media space transformed by social and digital technologies. “I am looking forward to the challenge and privilege of working alongside all who are part of the RTÉ community, internal and external, to help to carve a strong identity for the future for the public service broadcaster.” DONEGAL BUSINESSWOMAN GETS TOP RTE JOB was last modified: November 4th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalMoya DohertyRTE